I was working on my photos today, refining some metadata. I use IDimager to do this. It has a nifty feature to search for photos where metadata in the image files themselves is not synchronised with IDimager’s internal catalogue. On using this feaure, I was surprised to find that 435 photos were flagged as being out of sync. Further examination showed that IDimager was also flagging them as being offline – in other words, no longer on the computer.
Odd, thought I, they should be in the folders where I keep my photos… That was when I discovered that all the folders holding photos taken in February 2007 had been deleted. I have no one to blame but myself, and I don’t know when this happened, but somewhere along the line I must have accidentally deleted the folder for February 2007, which contained the daily folders holding the photos themselves.
Luckily, I have had a Windows Home Server system running on the network since November. I opened up the backup taken in mid-November, and there were the folders. A quick copy and paste, and all the missing photos were restored back to their rightful place. Whew!
(Note: IDimager is no longer available. Its successor is Photo Supreme, which I am now using)